Just a quick bit of maintenance on the courtyard area, by our entrance. Between each of the poured concrete panels is a thin piece of redwood. These have been untouched for nearly 60 years, and they’re showing it. Some are completely rotten.
So, we decided to replace them with new redwood. This was pretty cheap, from the local Home Depot. Our first step was to extract the old, rotten pieces. This involved lots of chiseling, hammering and crow-barring. Then we cut the new redwood to size.
Some pieces slotted in, and I back-filled with dirt, for a tight fit. Others needed encouragement, via our trusty mallet. Now these redwood strips look shiny and new –perhaps a little too new. I’m sure they’ll weather soon enough, and hopefully last another 50 years.
To finish off for the day, I blew off all the leaves from the pebbles beside the path (a task which will no-doubt be repeated) and added some Mexican Beach Pebbles to fill some gaps – I’ll need to distribute these a little more evenly when I get some time.